Garage Door Safety and Security Tips to Prevent Break-Ins
Garage Doors Can Provide Easy Access to Toronto Homes for Would-Be Burglars
A home should be a sanctuary, a place of refuge for the family to feel comfortable, safe, and secure. Unfortunately, for some unscrupulous people, a home may also be targeted as an opportunity to acquire money and/or personal property, albeit in an illegal manner. And perhaps even more disconcerting is the fact that this attitude of entitlement seems to prevail regardless of whether the home is occupied or not when the thieves decide to make their entry.
For a majority of Toronto homes, the garage is the area most vulnerable to intrusion by thieves. Avenues for unauthorized access include:
- garage doors
- any and all windows
- side or service doors
- garage door openers
Furthermore, once inside the garage, a would-be burglar often has uncontested access to the home because the inner door may be unlocked and/or the main garage door acts as a shield to any passersby.
There are several ways that homeowners can protect themselves and their property from unwelcome intrusion through their garage. Such steps consist of the following:
- Garage Doors
- Install and regularly use a locking mechanism for the door
- Regular and proper maintenance of all parts and mechanisms
- Padlock throw latch from the inside during extended absences
- Do not leave ‘emergency’ house keys hidden within the garage
- Include a ‘garage door open alert’ on the home security system
- Ensure that the door from the garage to the home is solid/secure
- Garage Windows
- Cover windows in walls and doors with an opaque material
- Install frosted glass or apply a privacy film to existing panes
- Keep windows locked and/or reinforce them with metal bars
- Side or Service Doors
- Upgrade the quality of this door if/as required
- Upgrade the quality of the lock for this entrance
- Strengthen/fortify the frame, hinges, and window
- Garage Door Openers
- Use a keychain-style remote versus the visor-clip variety
- Remove remote devices from vehicles parked in the driveway
- Install a keyless entry system for outside access to the garage
- Use zip-ties to secure the emergency release for the opener
Many of these measures can be implemented by homeowners on a do-it-yourself basis; others may need the support of a garage door technician from Markham Garage Doors.
Installing or Upgrading Garage Door Openers Can Improve Home Security
Many families prefer to use their garage as the primary means of access to/egress from their home. This can be especially true for families with young children and/or for those who park their vehicles in the garage rather than in the driveway when they are home. In addition, the garage, or portion thereof, is often dedicated as storage space for more expensive equipment, tools, or other possessions that are only used on a seasonal basis.
For such reasons, homeowners may choose to rely on garage door openers for purposes of safety and security as well as greater convenience for entering and exiting the home. As a result, manufacturers have focused the efforts on combining reliable performance with the latest in security-related technologies. In the latter case, some of the available security features now include:
- Wireless keypads
- Rolling code applications
- Fingerprint-activated keypads
- Solenoid-driven electric bolt locks
- Smartphone-activated door openers
Installing or upgrading to garage door openers with such technology can improve home security and give homeowners peace of mind that their families and personal property are safeguarded from unwanted access to their homes. All such devices and accessories are available to homeowners in Toronto and the GTA from the garage doors specialists at Markham Garage Doors.
Looking to improve your garage security with a new or upgraded garage door opener? Call the installation experts from Markham Garage Doors today at (905) 472-9178 or (416) 570-3667 to discuss the type of garage door opener and related accessories that will best suit your needs and those of your family.