How to Secure Your Garage Before Leaving on Vacation
Safeguard Overhead Garage Doors to Deter Access to Your Home While Away
Although the winter weather in Toronto and the GTA has been rather mild thus far, it has still been sufficiently cold to elicit thoughts of vacation getaways for many homeowners. Whether the trip includes relaxing on a warm beach, a destination wedding, or a family holiday over school break, spending time away during the winter, even for a few days, just seems to make spring arrive that much sooner upon one’s return.
As most travelers are aware, there is a considerable amount of planning that must occur prior to departure. Among the many requisite activities is ensuring that the home will be secure while it is unoccupied; this may include setting automatic light timers, arranging for snow removal, and interrupting mail/newspaper service.
And it should also include ensuring that the garage and garage door are secured against unwanted intrusion. Whether the homeowners are away on vacation or just out for the evening, would-be burglars often view the garage as an ideal entry point to a home; this is due to the fact that overhead garage doors often provide easier access to the home than through doors or windows, plus garage doors can offer cover for such illicit activity.
Following are a number of precautionary steps that homeowners may consider as a way to prevent or at least heavily discourage unlawful entry to their home while the family is away on vacation:
- Disconnect the garage door opener
- Add a padlock to the garage door latch
- Add a padlock to the tracking to block rollers
- Install security cameras at all garage entry points
- Secure any other garage access doors with deadbolts
- Install motion-sensor lights on the outside of the garage
- Use opaque glass and/or curtains and safety bars on all windows
- Enlist the support of a family member/neighbor to help maintain the property
- Download a smartphone security app to monitor any/all garage door opener activity
By taking these types of measures, homeowners can better safeguard their homes and property against unauthorized access through the garage. Making it much more difficult for potential thieves to enter a home through the garage, in terms of time, noise, and/or the possibility of capture, can indeed deter such activity altogether.
Homeowners may choose to take these precautions on their own or through the advice and assistance of a professional garage door service company such as Markham Garage Doors.
Consult a Garage Door Service Company to Help Upgrade Your Home Security
Homeowners looking to upgrade their home security might consider the installation of a LiftMaster garage door opener, distributed and installed through manufacturer-approved garage door service companies like Markham Garage Doors.
The LiftMaster series of garage door openers are well known and accepted for their wide range of performance-related features, including:
- Strength – to lift the heaviest of overhead garage doors
- Durability – over several thousand open-and-close cycles
- Reliability – for convenient access in all weather conditions
- Safety – photoelectric sensors for auto-reverse capabilities
- Accessories – including smartphone control and monitoring
For more insight on the LiftMaster series of garage door openers and their installation by Markham Garage Doors, a leading garage door service company in Toronto and the GTA, please visit our LiftMaster Page.
Markham Garage Doors offers a full range of LiftMaster garage door openers and related accessories to meet all homeowner needs. Call Markham Garage Doors today at either (905) 472-9178 or (416) 570-3667 to discuss which of the various model options is right for your family and for your home security.