Remote Operation and Monitoring of Your Garage Door with MyQ System
Installation of MyQ System Permits Smartphone Control of Garage Door Opener
Many homeowners have undoubtedly experienced that pit-of-the-stomach sense of fear or nervousness when, several minutes after leaving home, they suddenly cannot recall if they turned off the stove or locked the front door. This is often a temporary or fleeting feeling, as their thoughts and heart rate quickly settle down when they do remember that yes, they did, in fact, ensure that all was off, unplugged, locked, etc. before driving away.
Although people will subconsciously perform hundreds of routine tasks every day, it can still be a gut-wrenching and worrisome feeling when they momentarily cannot picture in their mind that a certain action was actually completed. This frantic or panicky state can often be associated with the garage door (did I close it or not?) to the point where some homeowners may have to turn around and drive back for visual proof that all is secure.
Fortunately for homeowners, and especially those implicated in the garage door scenario above, developments in wireless technology have led to the introduction of garage door openers that can be controlled and monitored via a smartphone or tablet, which means that these homeowners will not have to worry about the status of their garage door – no matter where they are virtually anywhere around the world.
The technology is known as the MyQ Garage system, introduced by Chamberlain garage door openers, and it is compatible with over 90% of garage door openers manufactured over the last 20 years. For a reasonable purchase price and a straightforward two-step installation process, homeowners can now enjoy the following benefits of a MyQ wireless operating system without the additional expense of upgrading their current door opener:
- Control/monitor their garage door from almost anywhere in the world
- View images of the door in real time – is the door open, closed, in motion?
- Receive alerts whenever garage door has been left in its open position
- Receive notification if the garage door is opened while occupants are away
- Historical data on when the door was opened, how long it was left open
- Permitting approved visitors to access the garage at pre-arranged times
- Peace of mind about the security of the home/garage when out or away
In the case of an existing garage door opener, homeowners can install their MyQ Garage system quickly and with relative ease; perhaps the most fundamental aspect of installing such a system is to ensure that their home’s wireless internet signal reaches the garage with sufficient strength.
Homeowners currently without an automatic garage door opener, but who are intrigued by the possibilities and conveniences afforded by a MyQ system, may want to have the ‘full package’ installed simultaneously. In this instance, homeowners are encouraged to consult with a technician from Markham Garage Doors, to assess which type of garage door opener is most compatible with their current door and to arrange for its installation along with their new MyQ system. Once again, basic requirements would be a wireless internet signal that reaches the garage and connectivity to a smartphone or tablet.
Certified Installation of the Reliable LiftMaster Brand of Garage Door Openers
There are several makes/models of garage door openers with do-it-yourself installation available commercially from many home improvement, hardware, and wholesale stores. A significant portion of these openers is manufactured and distributed by Chamberlain, either under their own name or as a private-label brand such as Sears Craftsman.
But perhaps the most reliable line of Chamberlain’s garage door openers is the LiftMaster series, supplied only through certified professional installers like Markham Garage Doors. LiftMaster garage door openers offer several performance advantages over other brands with respect to:
- Drive systems
- Safety and security
- Innovative accessories (including MyQ technology).
If you would like to take advantage of the synergy between the reliable performance of a LiftMaster series garage door opener and the benefits offered by the MyQ Garage system technology, call the installation specialists at Markham Garage Doors today at either (905) 472-9178 or (416) 570-3667 to determine the garage door opener that is best suited for your style of door, your specific needs, and for your smartphone or tablet.
Garage Doors Get Smarter
Garage Door Openers Are Now Compatible With Smartphone Technology
Advancements in technology have certainly impacted the daily lives and routines of an entire generation, and likely generations to follow, from the perspectives of convenience and expediency. It can be quite common today to hear terminology such as ‘go online’, ‘text me’, and ‘PVR it’ in everyday conversations as people discuss how they look after their daily matters in easier and faster fashions.
For the most part, such advancements in cellphone, computer, and television technology have introduced greater flexibility for consumers and commerce alike to communicate at will, conduct business without the stigma previously associated with a nine-to-five workday, and perform multiple functions at the same time (or multi-task). Another area that has been substantially transformed as a result of technological advances is that of home monitoring, including the security of the garage.
Technology has made it possible to control garage door openers with a smartphone, tablet, or computer, allowing homeowners to ensure that their garage door is closed and that their garage and home are more secure, regardless of where they are at any time of the day or night.
And this possibility is not limited to new garage door opener installations only, as most existing devices are also compatible with this technology and can be upgraded through a rather simple series of steps:
- Downloading the monitoring application (or app) known as MyQ Garage
- Customarily available at no charge and with no annual activation fee
- Installing a base station near the drive motor of the garage door opener
- Often attached to the garage ceiling using only a couple of screws
- Transmits wireless signals to the opener to open and close the door
- Attaching a battery-operated box/sensor to the inside of the garage door
- The box is small (roughly 3” x 3”) and it can be secured with adhesive tape
- Designed to recognize when the garage door is open, closed, or in motion
Homeowners can acquire the MyQ base station and sensor box through various online or retail locations and can install the system as a do-it-yourself project. Those looking to have a new garage door opener installed may want to contact a professional contractor, like Markham Garage Doors, to discuss the available options and their compatibility with the MyQ technology and with various smartphones, tablets, and home computers.
Smart Garage Door Opener Features Have Enhanced Both Operation and Safety
Automatic garage door openers have come a long way from the days of using a bulky battery-operated remote that was clipped onto the visor of a vehicle. Smart technology and heightened attention to home and garage security have allowed homeowners and manufacturers to focus much more intently on aspects of safety and precision operation while simultaneously added personal convenience to the use of these devices.
Some of the features associated with smart garage door opener technology include:
- Activated by tapping the garage door icon on a phone/computer screen
- Automatic alerts sent if and when the garage door is left open inadvertently
- Audible and visual warnings issued when the garage door is about to close
- Motion detectors that turn the interior light on in response to any movement
- Programmable Timers
- How long the door will stay open before closing automatically
- How long the interior light remains on after the door has closed
- On-screen images of the current door position (open, closed, in motion)
- On-screen data on how long the door has been in any of these positions
- Usage during an absence – if, when, and how long the door was opened
- Ability to monitor/control the garage door virtually anywhere in the world
Individuals who are comfortable using their smartphones, tablets, or computers for such purposes as texting, banking, gaming, and online shopping will likely be comfortable in also adding the MyQ application for a smart garage door opener. Those seeking further information on the connectivity and use of such an application can rely on the advice and insight of a professional garage door opener installer such as Markham Garage Doors.
Markham Garage Doors is an authorized retailer and installer of the LiftMaster brand of garage door openers.
Call the installation experts at Markham Garage Doors today at (905) 472-9178 or (416) 570-3667 to determine which style of garage door opener would be best for your garage door and compatible with your smartphone, tablet, and/or computer as well.