Differentiating the Chamberlain and Craftsman Brands of Garage Door Openers
Chamberlain and Sears Craftsman Garage Door Openers Have a Lot in Common
Once considered to be more of a novelty item, or perhaps even a luxury in some circles, garage door openers have become a common amenity for many homeowners. Whereas people at one time might have marveled about the one mechanically-operated garage door on their block, they seldom give it any thought should they happen to see someone driving in or out of a garage without exiting the vehicle to open/close the overhead door.
Garage door openers have indeed become a modern convenience for many homeowners and their families. And, as with many other mechanical devices, advances in technology have taken garage door openers, metaphorically speaking, to greater heights. Today’s automatic openers offer much more than just convenient access to/egress from a home or garage, as manufacturers are integrating technology that provides such features as:
- Low-noise operation
- Smartphone activation
- Advanced security options
- Battery back-up functionality
- Operation via fingerprint recognition
There are in fact several makes and models of garage door openers on the market and choosing one over all others may at first seem to be a somewhat overwhelming/daunting task. However, upon closer inspection, an immediate delineation can be made between brands like LiftMaster, available only from licensed distributors such as Markham Garage Doors, and those that can be acquired commercially, most notably the Chamberlain and Craftsman product lines. For the purposes of this discussion, comparisons will be limited to these latter two brands only.
Perhaps the most distinguishing characteristic between these two brands is the means in which they are made available to consumers. Craftsman garage door openers have been associated with and sold exclusively through Sears outlets whereas Chamberlain models can be bought from many different home improvement, hardware, and wholesale stores. Another differentiating aspect is seen in product types: both brands include screw-drive, belt-drive, and chain-drive formats, although only Chamberlain offers a jackshaft or wall-mount option.
On the other hand, perhaps the least known characteristic about these brands is the fact they are actually manufactured by the same company – Chamberlain. That’s right, the Craftsman garage door openers are private-label devices made by Chamberlain and sold by Sears under its own Craftsman brand name.
Since Chamberlain and Sears Craftsman garage door openers are produced by the same company, it stands to reason that these product lines would have numerous similarities. As a result, their most popular features in common include the following:
- A variety of models and prices to accommodate all needs
- Do-it-yourself installation for homeowners who are so inclined
- Ease of operation, with smooth and essentially silent drive systems
- Powerful motors – up to ¾ horsepower to left the heaviest of doors
- Standby power systems – to continue operating during hydro outages
- Extension kits to fit non-traditional garage door heights (over seven feet)
- Compatible with MyQ smartphone technology (worldwide connection/control)
- Rolling code technology for enhanced home security and burglary protection
Despite their many similarities, it appears that the Chamberlain garage door openers may have a slight advantage based on consumer preference. This includes assessments across such comparators as:
- Basic affordability – Chamberlain PD210D
- Power and strength – Chamberlain PD752D
- Ultra-quiet operation – Chamberlain WD822KD
And just a last word overall – although Chamberlain and Craftsman garage door openers offer the option/flexibility of do-it-yourself installation, this route may entail a degree of complexity, especially in relation to setting up any wireless technologies and/or adjusting high-tension springs and cables. As a result, homeowners may instead choose to call on the expertise of an installation specialist from a reputable garage door company like Markham Garage Doors.
Get Professional Advice from the Experts in Garage Door Opener Installation
When choosing a garage door opener, homeowners will need to take several factors into consideration. In addition to baseline aspects such as cost, noise reduction properties, overhead clearance space, and the anticipated frequency of use, assessing the following can and often will influence an ultimate decision:
- Design – overall horsepower, dependable operation, compatibility to technology
- Hardware – accessories such as keypad entry, keychain remotes, track strength
- Warranties – what is covered by the manufacturers and for what length of time?
- Safety and Security Features – auto-reverse mechanism, anti-access capabilities
- Customer Service/Support – owner’s manual, a service department, onsite repairs
Whether the intent is to purchase a Craftsman or Chamberlain garage door opener from a retail outlet or a LiftMaster model for professional installation, homeowners must make an informed decision to ensure the best possible return, and performance, from such an investment. The Markham Garage Doors team can be a valuable asset to homeowners in making the right choice of garage door opener for their personal needs and type of door, as well as its installation and any subsequent service or maintenance.
For a full list of products installed and serviced by the Markham Garage Door technicians please go to Products Page.
Do you have questions about garage door opener installation? Call the professionals at Markham Garage Doors today at (905) 472-9178 for advice on the brand and model that would best meet your needs.