Get Reliable Garage Door Service at Markham Garage Doors
A recent article by CP24 highlights the need to thoroughly vet the companies that you use for garage door service and repair.
An Oakville-area woman was taken advantage of when she phoned a local company for an opener repair. They quoted her one price, and then presented her with a final bill of nearly $3,000, wouldn’t leave without payment, and didn’t give her an itemized receipt.
Unfortunately, this is a story we hear all too often. Many of our service customers will call us after they’ve had another company out to their home, only to be quoted a much higher price and then intimidated by the representative on site.
At Markham Garage Doors, we have a set price list for our services. If for some reason our tech gets on site and realizes that the service will be more expensive (for example, the opener needs to be replaced, or instead of a balancing issue, the real problem is that the spring needs to be replaced), our technician will get permission from the homeowner before starting work, as well as explain the reasoning behind the change.
Our pricing and invoices are transparent, and our techs will not require payment when they finish the service. The vast majority of our clients receive an invoice by email (unless they have asked for it to be mailed instead), and payment can be made by e-transfer or over the phone.
Our showroom at 176 Bullock Drive, Unit 11, in Markham is open to the public, we’ve been in business since 2008, and our reviews on Google and NiceJob have thousands of honest reviews from our happy customers.
If you’re looking for an honest, reliable company for all of your garage door needs, look no further than Markham Garage Doors!
Adding a Garage to an Existing Home
While garages are often a standard feature for many homes, some houses feature carports instead of garages, or there’s no place to park a car at all. Having access to a garage is helpful for more than just convenience and safety — garages serve as accessible storage areas and can even be converted into multi-use spaces.
If you’re a homeowner looking to benefit from a new garage, we’ll guide you through things to consider, the options you have for your new space and what you can expect regarding cost.
Things to Consider Before Making Garage Additions to an Existing Home
Before you move forward with adding a garage to an existing home, you should think about a few points to ensure your garage meets your needs and expectations:
- Attached vs. detached: Decide whether you want an attached or detached garage. Each has its own benefits. An attached garage connects to your home, so you don’t have to go outside to access your car. A detached garage will be separate from your home, allowing for a more private space. Consider how much space you have — the option you choose will depend on the existing structure of your home and the size of your property.
- How many cars: If you plan on using your new garage to store cars, you must ensure the space will fit all of your vehicles. A one-car garage is perfect for one car and a little extra storage. Build a larger garage if you have two or more cars and need to store items like bikes, toys and outdoor furniture.
- Zoning laws: The zoning laws in your area may be different than those in other towns or states. These laws outline the size and location limitations of new garage additions and approved materials. Carefully consider your area’s zoning laws before making final decisions on the setup of your new addition.
- Location and size: Consider the location and size of your home to ensure you don’t impact your home’s curb appeal and value. Garages will take up a large portion of your property, and if you build an oversized garage attached to a small house, it can dominate its appearance and create an unappealing look. Try to complement the style and size of garages in your neighbourhood to ensure you’re not hurting your home’s value if you ever decide to sell.
- Driveway: If you plan on using your garage to store your vehicles, you need a driveway. If you have an existing driveway, determine whether you need to add more space to accommodate your new garage. If you don’t have a driveway, you’ll have to add one that has plenty of room so you can access the space easily.
- DIY vs. professional: Decide if you’re going to build the garage yourself or contract the job out to a professional. While a DIY job can seem tempting, there are multiple aspects to stay on top of, including zoning laws, electrical work and plumbing. Working with a professional contractor ensures the job is done right the first time and all zoning laws are met.
Features and Options for Garage Additions
When you’re adding to your existing garage, you have the option to choose from many features and can customize the space to suit your needs. Some typical features and options for customizing garages include:
- Storage: Garages provide an excellent way to store items you don’t need or use often. You can declutter your home and store items in your new addition, including decorations, workout or sporting equipment and other things you don’t use daily. Garages are especially handy storage options if you don’t have an attic.
- Laundry area: Moving your laundry room into your garage allows you to free up space in your home for a small office, extra bathroom or another helpful area. In addition to a washer and dryer, you can store a secondary refrigerator or freezer to store more food, which is excellent for large families.
- Hobby space: Garages can be used as a hobby space, where you can work on crafts, woodworking or other projects. You can even set up a home gym. Since this is a dedicated space, you don’t have to worry about putting everything away when you’re done and storing it in another location.
- Workspace: Garages can also be used as a workspace to work remotely or make and sell products. Garages allow you to make space for work that you may not have inside your home, letting you work in a private area away from the daily hustle and bustle.
- Living space: If you have enough space when building a garage, you may have the option to create a living space above your garage addition. Living spaces above garages are pretty common. People sometimes use them as an extra room, recreational space or hobby area.
If you plan on working or spending time in your garage, you’ll need to ensure it’s comfortable. Additional features to construct in your garage include air conditioning, plumbing, insulation, electricity and windows. These elements can make a garage feel like an extension of your home and create a comfortable environment where you can spend an extended amount of time.
What’s the Cost of Building a Garage?
If you’re considering building a garage on the side of your house or putting one on your property, you’re likely wondering how much you’ll have to pay for construction. The exact cost will depend on multiple factors, including location, size, materials, labour and accessories. On average, expect to pay anywhere between $19,600 to $28,200.
While a new garage can be a significant investment, it’s often worth it for many homeowners, as a finished garage can increase home value by up to 4%. The increased value can help you see a significant return on your initial investment when you decide to sell. You’ll also benefit from the added safety, convenience and space a garage provides.
Find the Perfect Garage Door With Markham Garage Doors
Your garage door is just as important as your garage itself. The garage door keeps all your valuables protected from theft and harsh elements. An insulated garage door can also keep the interior of your garage comfortable while you work, no matter the season. If you’re in the market for a new garage door, trust Markham Garage Doors as your garage door provider and servicer.
We have a wide selection of garage doors to suit any home or business. We also offer different services and repairs to ensure your garage door continues to serve you for as long as possible. Contact us today for a new door or service quote and learn more about how we can help!
TO OUR VALUED CUSTOMERS REGARDING COVID-19 (CORONAVIRUS)
First, we would like to say thanks to all our customers. We’re all in this together, and our actions will determine how we rebound from this pandemic.
We are open for business to keep our customer’s garage doors operating during these difficult times. We ask that you respect our policies as we will, in turn, respect yours and your home.
We are doing everything in our power to stop the spread, this includes:
- The closure of all our 4 showrooms.
- Parts sales will be paid in full by phone or email, parts will be left at the door for customer pickup.
- Sales calls will be performed by email or by phone with a no-contact policy. If the sale is to proceed our sales staff will do an onsite measurement in your garage with 0 interactions. All we ask is you open the garage for our sales staff we will let you when our measurements are complete.
- Service calls and installs will continue our clients must not be in the garage while our technician is completing the work.
- We will wipe down the push button and any other touch-points that our customers will use in their daily routine.
- Our Employees are exercising social distancing both at work and at home, following all government and company guidelines.
We appreciate your support and look forward to welcoming you back into our showrooms as soon as possible.
To protect yourself and others, we ask that anyone who is feeling unwell, or anyone who has travelled internationally, to call us at 905-472-9178 to cancel your service call or new garage door and/or opener installation.
If you have any questions or if you want to reschedule your appointment, you can call us at 905-472-9178.
Thank you and we look forward to seeing you soon,
Markham Garage Doors Ltd.