Adding a Garage to an Existing Home
While garages are often a standard feature for many homes, some houses feature carports instead of garages, or there’s no place to park a car at all. Having access to a garage is helpful for more than just convenience and safety — garages serve as accessible storage areas and can even be converted into multi-use spaces.
If you’re a homeowner looking to benefit from a new garage, we’ll guide you through things to consider, the options you have for your new space and what you can expect regarding cost.
Things to Consider Before Making Garage Additions to an Existing Home
Before you move forward with adding a garage to an existing home, you should think about a few points to ensure your garage meets your needs and expectations:
- Attached vs. detached: Decide whether you want an attached or detached garage. Each has its own benefits. An attached garage connects to your home, so you don’t have to go outside to access your car. A detached garage will be separate from your home, allowing for a more private space. Consider how much space you have — the option you choose will depend on the existing structure of your home and the size of your property.
- How many cars: If you plan on using your new garage to store cars, you must ensure the space will fit all of your vehicles. A one-car garage is perfect for one car and a little extra storage. Build a larger garage if you have two or more cars and need to store items like bikes, toys and outdoor furniture.
- Zoning laws: The zoning laws in your area may be different than those in other towns or states. These laws outline the size and location limitations of new garage additions and approved materials. Carefully consider your area’s zoning laws before making final decisions on the setup of your new addition.
- Location and size: Consider the location and size of your home to ensure you don’t impact your home’s curb appeal and value. Garages will take up a large portion of your property, and if you build an oversized garage attached to a small house, it can dominate its appearance and create an unappealing look. Try to complement the style and size of garages in your neighbourhood to ensure you’re not hurting your home’s value if you ever decide to sell.
- Driveway: If you plan on using your garage to store your vehicles, you need a driveway. If you have an existing driveway, determine whether you need to add more space to accommodate your new garage. If you don’t have a driveway, you’ll have to add one that has plenty of room so you can access the space easily.
- DIY vs. professional: Decide if you’re going to build the garage yourself or contract the job out to a professional. While a DIY job can seem tempting, there are multiple aspects to stay on top of, including zoning laws, electrical work and plumbing. Working with a professional contractor ensures the job is done right the first time and all zoning laws are met.
Features and Options for Garage Additions
When you’re adding to your existing garage, you have the option to choose from many features and can customize the space to suit your needs. Some typical features and options for customizing garages include:
- Storage: Garages provide an excellent way to store items you don’t need or use often. You can declutter your home and store items in your new addition, including decorations, workout or sporting equipment and other things you don’t use daily. Garages are especially handy storage options if you don’t have an attic.
- Laundry area: Moving your laundry room into your garage allows you to free up space in your home for a small office, extra bathroom or another helpful area. In addition to a washer and dryer, you can store a secondary refrigerator or freezer to store more food, which is excellent for large families.
- Hobby space: Garages can be used as a hobby space, where you can work on crafts, woodworking or other projects. You can even set up a home gym. Since this is a dedicated space, you don’t have to worry about putting everything away when you’re done and storing it in another location.
- Workspace: Garages can also be used as a workspace to work remotely or make and sell products. Garages allow you to make space for work that you may not have inside your home, letting you work in a private area away from the daily hustle and bustle.
- Living space: If you have enough space when building a garage, you may have the option to create a living space above your garage addition. Living spaces above garages are pretty common. People sometimes use them as an extra room, recreational space or hobby area.
If you plan on working or spending time in your garage, you’ll need to ensure it’s comfortable. Additional features to construct in your garage include air conditioning, plumbing, insulation, electricity and windows. These elements can make a garage feel like an extension of your home and create a comfortable environment where you can spend an extended amount of time.
What’s the Cost of Building a Garage?
If you’re considering building a garage on the side of your house or putting one on your property, you’re likely wondering how much you’ll have to pay for construction. The exact cost will depend on multiple factors, including location, size, materials, labour and accessories. On average, expect to pay anywhere between $19,600 to $28,200.
While a new garage can be a significant investment, it’s often worth it for many homeowners, as a finished garage can increase home value by up to 4%. The increased value can help you see a significant return on your initial investment when you decide to sell. You’ll also benefit from the added safety, convenience and space a garage provides.
Find the Perfect Garage Door With Markham Garage Doors
Your garage door is just as important as your garage itself. The garage door keeps all your valuables protected from theft and harsh elements. An insulated garage door can also keep the interior of your garage comfortable while you work, no matter the season. If you’re in the market for a new garage door, trust Markham Garage Doors as your garage door provider and servicer.
We have a wide selection of garage doors to suit any home or business. We also offer different services and repairs to ensure your garage door continues to serve you for as long as possible. Contact us today for a new door or service quote and learn more about how we can help!