How to Repaint Your Garage Doors
Painting a Residential Garage Door Improves Its Curb Appeal and Its Lifespan
A newly-installed garage door can be an eye-catching feature in terms of the aesthetic appeal and/or resale value of a property. An unblemished appearance and a bright shine to this significant percentage of the home’s façade can reflect favorably on how guests or potential buyers will perceive the condition of what awaits them behind that frontage.
Unfortunately, exposure to the elements and general aging can have a deleterious effect on the condition and appearance of a residential garage door. In the event that the door is constructed of wood or aluminum, these factors will necessitate regular maintenance, like the need to revitalize its appearance with a fresh coat of paint. Additionally, tending to the garage door in this fashion will help extend its lifecycle – this means that investing in some paint and related materials on a regular basis can lead to long-term cost savings by not having to prematurely replace the entire door.
Speaking of the required materials, these supplies will be helpful for undertaking such a do-it-yourself project as painting a residential garage door:
- Primer and semi-gloss paint for exterior use
- Rollers, brushes, clean paint tray or bucket
- Sponges and a mild soap or detergent
- Sandpaper or a sanding block
- Stepladder or a step stool
- Painter’s tape; drop cloth
With respect to preparing a garage door for painting, the fundamental steps will be as follows:
- Gently sand the entire surface of the door (as needed)
- Wipe or brush away dust generated by sanding the door
- Sweep/collect accumulated dust/dirt along the bottom of the door
- Wash surface of the door with water and soap – dry thoroughly
- Use painter’s tape to cover/protect inside edge of the door frame
- Raise door slightly; spread drop cloth to protect driveway/floor
- Apply primer (especially if changing the door color) with a roller
- Start with the upper panel and work horizontally across full panel
- Repeat process panel by panel – raise door accordingly throughout
- Repeat this process once again to apply the paint (one or two coats)
The following recommendations will also be helpful in ensuring that this project is carried out in a complete and appropriate fashion:
- If applying two coats, brush the first one horizontally and the second vertically
- Raise each panel sufficiently to fully expose and then paint the extreme edges
- Remove the painter’s tape using gentle and even pressure once the door is dry
- To paint the door frame, place door in its fully open position for ease-of-access
The investment of a little preparation time and the commitment to do the job thoroughly and correctly will allow residential property owners to rejuvenate the appearance of their garage doors and protect the integrity of the wood or aluminum for an extended period of time. Sometimes, though, homeowners may be unsure whether painting their garage doors would be beneficial in contrast to investing in new doors altogether.
In these instances, they may wish to consult with an experienced garage door technician from Markham Garage Doors.
Painting is Just One Aspect of Overall Garage Door Maintenance
While painting a residential garage door on a regular basis will help protect its structural integrity, it is just one step in the big picture of good overall garage door maintenance practices. Even if the door is composed of a material that does not require painting, there are general maintenance steps that are common to all garage doors.
These practices consist of the following:
- Inspecting the tracking for signs of damage
- Checking and tighten all hardware as needed
- Keeping rollers, hinges, and latches well lubricated
- Wiping dust and grime from springs and cables
- Examining rollers for wear/need of replacement
- Ensuring that weather stripping is in good condition
Essentially, residential garage doors need a tune-up in a similar way to maintaining the proper operation of a vehicle, furnace, or air conditioning unit. Homeowners can indeed perform their own garage door maintenance; however, those who might be uncertain of how best to proceed or who perhaps are less inclined to do so have the option of calling on the professional services provided by a leading garage door company in Toronto and the GTA such as Markham Garage Doors.
If you are unsure about the value/benefit of painting your current garage door or would like advice on this or any other aspect of garage door maintenance, call the experts at Markham Garage Doors today at either (905) 472-9178 or (416) 570-3667 to book a service visit or a consultation at your earliest convenience.