How to Tell that Your Garage Door Opener is Broken
Steps to Help Assess if Your Malfunctioning Garage Door Opener Needs Repair
To the casual observer, it may at first be testing to find any similarity between automatic garage door opener and major household utilities like hydro, water, and gas. Let’s face it; the former is a mechanical device while the latter are fundamental services that help make a home inhabitable.
Upon closer inspection though, there are some similarities when comparing garage door openers with public utility services, principally with respect to convenience and reliability. At basically the flip of a switch or the push of a button, one can open/close their garage door just as easily as they can turn on a television or pour a glass of water – that is the convenience factor. From a dependability perspective, the garage door opener responds each time and every time, in the same way, that the lights always come on and the bath always has hot water.
This is why it is bewildering when any of the above comforts fails to respond; a failure is so unforeseen, it leaves a homeowner and their family members essentially in disbelief, not to mention that it is often highly disruptive to their daily routines. And in the case of a garage door opener, Murphy’s Law dictates that it will stop functioning at the absolute worst possible time to have a car trapped in the garage.
It is important to note that, when a garage door will not open, it should not be assumed that it is the automatic opener that needs repair – the issue could lie with the device or with the door itself. To determine the source of the problem, homeowners may actually want to begin by examining the door for one or more of the following indicators:
- Broken spring
- Damaged rollers
- Loose/broken cable
- Bent/blocked tracking
- The door is out of alignment
- The door is frozen shut (winter)
- The door cannot be opened manually
If in fact the garage door can be opened manually, and rather easily, then the problem most likely resides with the door opener. In this instance, homeowners can test various aspects of the opener to assess whether its functionality can be re-established or if there is a need for repair or replacement services. These do-it-yourself measures can include:
- Checking for a tripped circuit breaker
- Confirming the connection to the power supply
- Resetting the unit – unplug it, wait, re-connect it, try again
- Changing/testing remote batteries to see if there is a response
If the above actions are unsuccessful in isolating the issue and/or restoring the operation of the garage door opener, it would be prudent for homeowners to call the garage door service professionals at Markham Garage Doors to determine the best course of action.
Consider the LiftMaster Series for Your New Garage Door Opener Installation
In some instances, depending on the type/extent of the repair work needed, it could be more cost-effective for homeowners to move forward with the installation of a new and upgraded garage door opener; when a full replacement is a better/preferred option, it is advisable to consider the LiftMaster line of garage door openers.
LiftMaster has been a leading manufacturer in the garage door opener industry for more than 45 years, developing and distributing a brand that well-known and respected for its quality, innovation, and emphasis on safety. LiftMaster garage door openers can only be obtained from manufacturer-approved distributors such as Markham Garage Doors, who in turn have trained technicians on staff to ensure that the installation process is done in an expert and appropriate manner to guarantee optimal performance and safe operation.
The expertise of the Markham Garage Doors technicians in the installation of LiftMaster garage door openers includes:
- Fastening all support rails appropriately
- Tension adjustments for the spring/cables
- Regulating the open-and-close travel limits
- The set-up and testing of all safety features
- Electrical wiring to specified codes/standards
- Matching opener horsepower to door weight
For more information on the garage door opener repair and installation services by the experts from Markham Garage Doors, see https://markhamgaragedoors.com/garage-door-wont-open/
If you require garage door opener repair service or the installation of a new garage door opener, call Markham Garage Doors today at (905) 472-9178 or (416) 570-3667 to schedule an on-site visit and/or to obtain more information on the LiftMaster series of products.
Consider These Handy Accessories for Your Garage Door Opener
Garage Door Opener Accessories Provide Added Safety, Security, Convenience
The introduction of the automatic garage door opener was indeed ground-breaking in its own right; it permitted drivers and family members to open and close their garage door without actually touching the door. This was, and still remains, a convenience for many people, especially when they arrive home in wet, cold, and/or windy weather conditions.
Garage door openers have certainly come a long way since their rudimentary beginnings. While their principal function of a garage door opener remains the same – to open and close a garage door – their level of sophistication has grown exponentially, thanks in large part to advancements in technology, but also due to an inherent need/desire to extract wider/added functionality from a single device.
Here are some handy garage door opener accessories that may appeal to current owners of these devices, or perhaps offer enough appeal for a homeowner to have one installed:
- Wireless exterior keypad – operates the door from the outside, based on a four-digit code; convenient access without a remote or a key e.g.: children arriving from school
- Wireless monitoring system – allows homeowners to control and operate their garage door opener anytime, and from anywhere in the world, using a smartphone or tablet
- Garage door monitor – check the status of a garage door before retiring for the night
- Mini-remote – fits on a key ring/in a purse; improves security – no remotes left in the car
- Laser parking system – helps establish where to stop/park vehicles upon entering the garage; also indirectly delineates/maximizes storage space along the back wall of a garage
- Battery backup system – allows access to/exit from the garage during any power outage
By integrating such types of accessories with their garage door opener unit, homeowners can benefit in a number of ways, including:
- Improvements in home security
- Enhancements in personal safety
- Added convenience in daily routines
Markham Garage Doors Offers Expert Garage Door Opener Installation, Repair
Some brands of garage door openers are available through commercial outlets such as home improvement or hardware stores; however, the LiftMaster series of openers is only obtainable from manufacturer-authorized distributors like Markham Garage Doors. The LiftMaster brand of garage door opener is accepted/valued for such characteristics as its:
- Safety and Security
- Reliable Performance
- Advanced Accessories
The installation of a LiftMaster garage door opener by a trained technician from Markham Garage Doors will provide homeowners with the confidence they want and need across all of the above features when they choose to invest in such a device.
Sometimes, a garage door opener, regardless of its brand, will require repair or service. In these cases, homeowners can rely on the skills of Markham Garage Doors technicians to address any garage door opener repairs quickly and expertly, in order to restore the levels of performance, safety/security, and convenience they need in their daily routines.
Markham Garage Doors offers and installs a full range of LiftMaster garage door openers and door opener accessories to meet all needs and preferences. Call Markham Garage Doors today at (905) 472-9178 or (416) 570-3667 to discuss how we can help make access to your garage/home more convenient, safer, and/or more secure.
Differentiating the Chamberlain and Craftsman Brands of Garage Door Openers
Chamberlain and Sears Craftsman Garage Door Openers Have a Lot in Common
Once considered to be more of a novelty item, or perhaps even a luxury in some circles, garage door openers have become a common amenity for many homeowners. Whereas people at one time might have marveled about the one mechanically-operated garage door on their block, they seldom give it any thought should they happen to see someone driving in or out of a garage without exiting the vehicle to open/close the overhead door.
Garage door openers have indeed become a modern convenience for many homeowners and their families. And, as with many other mechanical devices, advances in technology have taken garage door openers, metaphorically speaking, to greater heights. Today’s automatic openers offer much more than just convenient access to/egress from a home or garage, as manufacturers are integrating technology that provides such features as:
- Low-noise operation
- Smartphone activation
- Advanced security options
- Battery back-up functionality
- Operation via fingerprint recognition
There are in fact several makes and models of garage door openers on the market and choosing one over all others may at first seem to be a somewhat overwhelming/daunting task. However, upon closer inspection, an immediate delineation can be made between brands like LiftMaster, available only from licensed distributors such as Markham Garage Doors, and those that can be acquired commercially, most notably the Chamberlain and Craftsman product lines. For the purposes of this discussion, comparisons will be limited to these latter two brands only.
Perhaps the most distinguishing characteristic between these two brands is the means in which they are made available to consumers. Craftsman garage door openers have been associated with and sold exclusively through Sears outlets whereas Chamberlain models can be bought from many different home improvement, hardware, and wholesale stores. Another differentiating aspect is seen in product types: both brands include screw-drive, belt-drive, and chain-drive formats, although only Chamberlain offers a jackshaft or wall-mounted option.
On the other hand, perhaps the least known characteristic about these brands is the fact they are actually manufactured by the same company – Chamberlain. That’s right, the Craftsman garage door openers are private-label devices made by Chamberlain and sold by Sears under its own Craftsman brand name.
Since Chamberlain and Sears Craftsman garage door openers are produced by the same company, it stands to reason that these product lines would have numerous similarities. As a result, their most popular features in common include the following:
- A variety of models and prices to accommodate all needs
- Do-it-yourself installation for homeowners who are so inclined
- Ease of operation, with smooth and essentially silent drive systems
- Powerful motors – up to ¾ horsepower to left the heaviest of doors
- Standby power systems – to continue operating during hydro outages
- Extension kits to fit non-traditional garage door heights (over seven feet)
- Compatible with MyQ smartphone technology (worldwide connection/control)
- Rolling code technology for enhanced home security and burglary protection
Despite their many similarities, it appears that the Chamberlain product line may have a slight advantage based on consumer preference. This includes assessments across such comparators as:
- Basic affordability – Chamberlain PD210D
- Power and strength – Chamberlain PD752D
- Ultra-quiet operation – Chamberlain WD822KD
And just a last word overall – although Chamberlain and Craftsman garage door openers offer the option/flexibility of do-it-yourself installation, this route may entail a degree of complexity, especially in relation to setting up any wireless technologies and/or adjusting high-tension springs and cables. As a result, homeowners may instead choose to call on the expertise of an installation specialist from a reputable service provider like Markham Garage Doors.
Get Professional Advice from the Experts in Garage Door Opener Installation
When choosing a garage door opener, homeowners will need to take several factors into consideration. In addition to baseline aspects such as cost, noise reduction properties, overhead clearance space, and the anticipated frequency of use, assessing the following can and often will influence an ultimate decision:
- Design – overall horsepower, dependable operation, compatibility to technology
- Hardware – accessories such as keypad entry, keychain remotes, track strength
- Warranties – what is covered by the manufacturers and for what length of time?
- Safety and Security Features – auto-reverse mechanism, anti-access capabilities
- Customer Service/Support – owner’s manual, a service department, onsite repairs
Whether the intent is to purchase a Craftsman or Chamberlain garage door opener from a retail outlet or a LiftMaster model for professional installation, homeowners must make an informed decision to ensure the best possible return, and performance, from such an investment. The Markham Garage Doors team can be a valuable asset to homeowners with respect to making the right choice of garage door opener for their personal needs and type of door, as well as its installation and any subsequent service or maintenance.
For a full list of products installed and serviced by the Markham Garage Door technicians please go to Products Page.
Do you have questions about the choice and/or the installation of a garage door opener? Call the professionals at Markham Garage Doors today at either (905) 472-9178 or (416) 570-3667 for advice on the brand and model that would best meet your needs.
How a Garage Door Opener Works
The Role of a Garage Door Opener in Raising and Lowering the Door
There is little doubt that a garage door opener has become a modern convenience for many homeowners, allowing them to drive into and out of their garage without the need to exit the vehicle to lift or lower the door. This is certainly a handy amenity in times of inclement weather as well as a safety feature when arriving home after dark.
In most cases, these homeowners simply push a button on a remote control device then wait for the door to open or close without giving this action a second thought. So it may be surprising to many people when they learn that a garage door opener actually does very little in terms of moving the door up and down. Yes, the door opener does provide a small amount of force to control how far the door travels when activated automatically, but it is the tension stored in the garage door springs that really does most of the heavy lifting and lowering. In addition to its ‘prompting’ of the springs, a garage door opener can act as a lock when a door is in the closed position.
With respect to its basic operation, a garage door opener consists of the following major components:
- An electric motor housed within a power unit attached to the garage ceiling
- Wall-mounting the unit to the side of the garage door is also an option
- Tracking extending from the power unit and secured above the garage door
- A trolley connected to an arm which is in turn attached to the top of the door
- A drive system to move the pulley along the track when the motor is in operation
- A system is usually belt-driven, chain-driven, or screw-driven
Improvements in Remote Access Security
When garage doors openers were first introduced and began growing in popularity, users encountered issues in terms of security or, more accurately, a lack of security with their remote controls. Initially, this resulted from the limited number of frequencies that were being shared between transmitters (remotes) and receivers (door openers); when this situation was rectified through the introduction of multi-code systems, security was quite basic and thieves were able to ‘crack’ these codes rather easily.
Today, the security features of a garage door opener are truly state-of-the-art, as the major manufacturers strive to deliver the highest quality performance combined with the greatest degree of home impenetrability. Some of these high-tech components include:
- Wireless keypads
- Keychain remotes
- Rolling code technology
- Solenoid-operated deadbolts
- Smartphone-controlled activation
- Fingerprint-based wireless keypads
- Remote lockout (receiver turned off during absences)
A garage door is frequently and repetitively in motion, usually performing two or more open-and-close cycles each and every day. Therefore, a properly installed garage door opener can indeed be a valuable asset to any homeowner, from the standpoints of both personal convenience and improved home security.
Garage Door Opener Installation by Certified Experts at Markham Garage Doors
Based on the number of times that an automatic opener will be commanded to open and close a garage door, the device and its accessories will need to be reliable and durable. In addition to the quality of the actual unit/motor, a critical factor in ensuring consistent and long-term performance will be the standard of garage door opener installation.
The trained technicians at Markham Garage Doors are manufacturer certified to install LiftMaster, one of the leading brands worldwide for over 45 years. The LiftMaster product line is well recognized for its combination of performance with the ultimate in safety and security features. This series is not available through commercial means but rather is distributed via licensed dealers such as Markham Garage Doors.
Looking to install a new or replacement garage door opener? Call the garage door opener installation professionals at Markham Garage Doors today at either (905) 472-9178 or (416) 570-3667 to discuss the ideal solution for your specific needs.
How to Adjust Chamberlain Garage Door Openers
Ways to Keep Chamberlain Garage Door Openers Working at Optimum Levels
In the vast majority of cases, Chamberlain garage door openers will open and close smoothly and efficiently each and every time they are so required. It is also generally accepted that the lifecycle for these garage door openers should be roughly 10 to 15 years, assuming a performance rate ranging from 1,000 to 1,500 open-and-close cycles annually.
When the aggregate number of multiple-year cycles is taken into consideration, it can certainly have a toll on garage door openers, simply due to the vibrations of normal operation as well as the repeated effects of starting and stopping basically on demand. Therefore, notwithstanding their seemingly routine operation, Chamberlain garage door openers might need some periodic adjustments to ensure that they continue to work at optimum levels as long as possible. Specifically, this means paying attention to:
- The travel limits of the door upon opening and closing
- The force required to activate the safety mechanisms
Any and all tests and adjustments can be performed in do-it-yourself fashion and should be completed on at least an annual basis. The process also applies to all Chamberlain garage door openers regardless of the drive system or horsepower.
In terms of actual tools, very little is required:
- A step ladder
- A slotted screwdriver (often called a flathead)
- A properly functioning garage door remote control
Perhaps the most important element to performing any tests or adjustments will be the presence of a partner. Equipped with the above items, the team can proceed as follows:
- Establishing the travel limits of Chamberlain garage door openers
- Note – adjustment screws are on the left side of garage door opener motorheads
- Note – one full turn of these screws equates to a door travel distance of two inches
- Setting the up-limit
- Position ladder below the back or rear portion of the opener to access the screws
- Open door using remote – bottom of door should come to rest just below header
- If door does not stop in this position, an up-or-down adjustment is likely required
- Turn the up-limit screw clockwise to raise door or counter-clockwise to lower door
- Using remote, close door then re-open to check travel – repeat process if needed
- Setting the down-limit
- Once travel limit has been adjusted for the open position, close door using remote
- Door should close tightly to the garage floor without gaps (no penetration of light)
- If there is a gap, adjust down-limit screw accordingly (counter-clockwise) to lower
- Using remote, open door then re-close to check travel – repeat process if needed
- Door will automatically re-open if adjusted too far (safety mechanism is engaged)
- Readjust down-screw – turn clockwise to change travel limit for the down position
- Setting the up-limit
- Testing the activation of safety mechanisms with garage door openers
- Note – these adjustment screws are on the upper right side of garage door openers
- Setting the up-force
- Place ladder below lens side of opener to access these screws (under lens cover)
- Ask partner to stand outside the door – this test should begin with door closed
- Open door using remote – at approximately the half-way point, and with the door in motion, partner should gently clutch bottom of door and apply some downforce
- Door should basically stop moving immediately when encountering the obstruction
- If undue force must be applied before door stops, up-force adjustment is needed
- Turn up-force screw slightly counter-clockwise – return door to the closed position using the remote and repeat test as needed until desired safety result is achieved
- Setting the down-force
- Once up-force has been correctly adjusted, use remote to open door completely
- Once again, ask partner to stand in position just outside the garage door opening
- Lower door using remote – at approximately the half-way point, and with the door in motion, partner should grasp bottom of door and pull upward slightly
- Door should stop moving immediately and then automatically reverse
- If door does not immediately stop and reverse, down-force adjustment is needed
- Turn down-force screw marginally counter-clockwise – return the door to its open position using the remote and repeat test as necessary to achieved desired result
- Setting the up-force
- Note – these adjustment screws are on the upper right side of garage door openers
If any of the above adjustments are proving to be a challenge and/or sensitive in nature, homeowners have the option of contacting an expert in the installation of Chamberlain garage door openers, such as a trained technician from Markham Garage Doors.
Adjusting Garage Door Openers One of Markham Garage Doors Many Services
The adjustment of garage door openers is merely one of the many services offered by the specialists from Markham Garage Doors. For over 10 years, Markham Garage Doors has assisted residential and commercial property owners in Toronto and the GTA with all of their garage door service needs, including:
- Door installations
- Door opener installations
- Maintenance and tune-ups
- Emergency/same day service
For more information on the extensive services provided by Markham Garage Doors, including the testing and adjusting of Chamberlain garage door openers, please visit our Services page.
If you have been unsuccessful in adjusting your Chamberlain garage door opener and require professional assistance, call the expert technicians from Markham Garage Doors today at either (905) 472-9178 or (416) 570-3667 to schedule your service call as soon as possible.
Visit our Garage Door Installation page for additional information on professional garage door installations and repairs from the team at Markham Garage Doors.
If you are uncertain or hesitant about performing your own garage door maintenance and repairs, call the experts at Markham Garage Doors today at (905) 472-9178 or (416) 570-3667 to help you get the job done right and right away.
What To Do When Your Garage Door Opener Stops Working
Troubleshooting Garage Door Opener Issues Can Help Avoid Service Call Costs
When a new garage door opener is first installed, homeowners might have the realistic expectation that the device will operate flawlessly, day after day, for many years. And in all probability, a garage door opener should perform for approximately 10 to 15 years, based on an average of 1,000 to 1,500 open-and-close cycles per year.
But how many people actually keep track of the number of times that their garage door is opened and closed in a day, let alone over 10 to 15 years? Furthermore, what is the percentage of homeowners who can easily recall the year that the opener was installed?
In the majority of cases, it is likely that homeowners simply expect their garage door to open or close every time they pull into the driveway and use the remote. So, when the day arrives that the garage door opener does not respond, they often stare at the remote in a state of disbelief.
However, all problems encountered with a garage door opener cannot be attributed to one source only. The cause of the problem may actually lie with any of the following:
- The garage door opener unit
- The remote control device(s)
- An electrical or wiring issue
When the garage door opener does not respond as expected, there are several ways to troubleshoot the situation prior to accepting or conceding that the unit either needs to be repaired or replaced. In many instances, a little time, patience, and investigation, as outlined below, can save a large amount of money:
- Garage door opener does not respond to the remote – check:
- Batteries in the remote – weak or fully spent?
- Battery voltage – sufficient to power the opener?
- Battery contacts – corroded, discolored, wet/damp?
- Infrared eyes on remote and opener – scratched, broken, dirty?
- Frequency setting for the remote – aligned with the unit’s receiver?
- Garage door opener does not respond to remote or wall-button – check:
- The power source to determine if it is properly plugged in
- For a blown fuse or tripped breaker in the electrical box
- That the infrared safety sensors are in the proper alignment
- For signs of a recent power interruption – may need a simple reset
As noted previously, a garage door opener can have a life expectancy in the range of 10 to 15 years depending on the quality of the unit and its frequency of use. However, this does not mean that hiccups, like the situations described above, will not occur over that time period. If such issues cannot be found and resolved as a result of homeowner troubleshooting, a trained technician from Markham Garage Doors may be required to provide professional diagnostic and repair/replacement services.
Garage Door Opener Issues May Extend Beyond Dead Batteries In The Remote
When a garage door opener stops working, it may seem too simplistic to suggest that the cause may be due to batteries in the remote or a blown fuse – but the solution is often something just that basic.
Unfortunately, this is not always the case, as a non-working garage door opener might be due to any number of reasons not immediately identifiable by the homeowner. These causes may be related to:
- The drive system
- Horsepower issues
- A power surge or failure
- Overall garage door weight
- An out-of-balance garage door
- Attempts to open a frozen door
- Accidental damage to the door
- Weather extremes
The Markham Garage Doors technicians service all garage door opener models with the expertise needed to quickly and accurately identify/assess the issue and recommend the appropriate course of action. If a replacement opener is deemed to be the optimal solution, we carry the leading garage door openers from top manufacturers and provides prompt and affordable installation service.
If you are experiencing an issue with your garage door opener and are unsure of the source of the problem, call the expert technicians from Markham Garage Doors today at (905) 472-9178 or (416) 570-3667 to book a complimentary consultation as soon as possible.
A Garage Door Opener Provides Convenience Plus Durability And Safety Options
In some ways, an automatic garage door opener can be likened to a cellphone, central air conditioning, or a television remote control. People may not appreciate the levels of comfort and convenience offered by such amenities until the day comes when they push the appropriate button and, lo and behold, nothing happens. It would almost seem like the device arbitrarily, and without warning, can just decide when it shall work no longer.
However, when a garage door opener is working properly, it may come as a surprise to learn that the device itself does not actually lift or open the door. The lifting force is provided by the spring that is attached to the door, most often a torsion spring, which is designed and used to counterbalance the weight of the door via a significant amount of tension. When the garage door opener is activated, either through a wall switch or by remote control, its primary role is for regulating the speed and distance that the door travels/moves to fully open or close. Furthermore, a garage door opener can keep a door securely closed in lieu of a lock-and-key method.
Garage door openers operate using one of three basic types of mechanisms or drives:
- Perhaps the most common as it is the least expensive mechanism
- It is also the loudest of the three options (rattling noise of the chain)
- The quietest option (fewer moving parts) but also the most expensive
- A good choice when the garage is either below or next to living space
- Comparatively quiet – a good choice for heavy, double-width doors
- Also requires the least maintenance (has the fewest moving parts)
Another aspect of automatic garage door openers that is often misunderstood pertains to their safety, or more specifically, to the safety of the occupants of the home and their personal property. Through significant advancements in technology, since they were first introduced, security features have improved in the following ways:
Rolling codes for remote control devices
- A new code is generated each time the remote sends a signal to the receiver
- There are literally millions of possible combination per garage door opener
- Code hackers/thieves are therefore unlikely to access the home in this way
Electronic eyes (or photodetectors)
- System employs a light beam transmitter plus a receiver at the base of the door
- Obstruction of the light beam by a person or object prevents door from closing
- This system should also trigger an auto-reverse mechanism for such instances
- They can be activated using a personal identification number
- Family members can open and close the door without a key or a remote
Like most other devices that have moving parts and/or electronic components, a garage door opener has a finite life expectancy. Factors that can/will influence the operating life of an automatic opener include:
- Amount of daily use
- Quality of the device
- Regular device maintenance
- Regular door maintenance
- Proper door balance
In all likelihood, and with proper care and maintenance, a garage door opener should perform for roughly 10 to 15 years, based on an estimated 1,000 to 1,500 opening-and-closing cycles annually. Eventually, fundamental wear-and-tear can cause the device to break down and cease to function in a proper and expected manner.
Get Expert Garage Door Opener Repairs And Replacements From Our Technicians
If your garage door opener is making unusual or non-customary sounds, regardless of its age, this may be a sign that the device is struggling or straining and/or there may be an issue with the door itself (perhaps balance or spring tension). In such cases, it will be important to stop using it immediately and place a service call to a professional garage door opener repair service such as Markham Garage Doors.
Markham Garage Doors services all makes and models of garage door openers and remote control systems, and has the knowledge and experience to recommend whether repairs or a complete replacement would be the better option for your specific situation. If a replacement is needed, we offer the full line of LiftMaster garage door openers, which in turn provide/include the following:
- A variety of drive systems
- Multiple horsepower levels
- Proven performance and durability
- The latest safety and security features
- Innovative accessories
If your garage door opener is not functioning properly, call the experts at Markham Garage Doors today at (905) 472-9178 or (416) 570-3667 to determine if there is an issue with your garage door or whether a new opener will need to be installed.
Chamberlain MyQ System Allows Smartphone Control Of Garage Door Openers
Have you ever experienced the pang of temporary anxiety that occurs when you are suddenly overcome by the feeling that you may have left the iron plugged in or forgotten to push the ‘close’ button on the automatic garage door opener – just as you are arriving at the office or about to board an airplane for a vacation getaway? People tend to perform such routine tasks every day, to the point where they are done in a subconscious/unconscious manner – perhaps you have abruptly reached into a pocket or a purse to check for your wallet or cell phone because you could not remember taking it from its customary resting place when you left home that morning?
Fortunately, there have been advancements in cellphone or smartphone technology that will allow people to set and check security systems, turn lights on or off, and ensure that the front door is locked, all while away from their homes. Now, with the introduction of garage door openers that can be smartphone-controlled, homeowners will never again have to worry/wonder whether their garage door has been left open – no matter where they happen to be around the world.
The MyQ Garage System, recently introduced by Chamberlain, allows homeowners to control their garage door openers via the use of a computer software program, commonly called an app, which is downloaded to their smartphones. One special feature about the Chamberlain system is its compatibility with a wide range of garage door openers manufactured after 1993, including the LiftMaster brand, so it may not be necessary to replace an existing opener before downloading this app. The Chamberlain MyQ Garage system is simple in design, with only two components:
- A base station installed near the drive motor of the garage door opener
- A small battery-powered box attached to the garage door with adhesive tape
From an operational standpoint, these two components have very straightforward roles:
- Base stations – wirelessly send open and close commands to garage door openers
- Door-mounted boxes – designed to recognize when the door is open, closed, or moving
For existing garage door openers, homeowners can install Chamberlain MyQ Garage systems relatively quickly and easily. Homeowners in the market for new openers may wish to contact a professional garage door opener installation service, such as Markham Garage Doors, to discuss the various styles of openers and compatibility options with their current door.
Smartphone-Controlled Garage Door Openers Offer Convenience And Security
In addition to the ability to control garage door openers from virtually anywhere in the world, the Chamberlain MyQ Garage system provides homeowners with a number of other options/uses as well. These possibilities include:
- Notifications when the garage door has been left open unintentionally
- Notifications if the garage door was opened while occupants were away
- Images of the current status of the door – open, closed, or moving
- Indications on how long the door has been in any of the above states
- Allowing approved visitors to enter the garage at pre-arranged times
All that is needed to enjoy the benefits and peace of mind afforded by the Chamberlain MyQ Garage system is a smartphone – and an automatic garage door opener. If you are at ease using the former and would appreciate the convenience and security of the latter, it may be beneficial to seek the advice of a certified and reliable installer such as Markham Garage Doors. We offer free garage door tune-ups with all installations of new garage door openers. Call the installation specialists at Markham Garage Doors today at (905) 472-9178 or (416) 570-3667 to discuss which opener is best suited for your specific style of door – and for your smartphone.
Why Garage Door Opener Installations Should Be Done By Professionals
In today’s economy, many homeowners look for ways and means to save a few dollars whenever and wherever possible. Often, this includes taking on do-it-yourself projects such as the installation of tiling, cabinetry, interlocking stone, and garage door openers.
There are several resources to assist homeowners with these do-it-yourself projects, such as seminars at local home improvement retailers, manufacturer-produced videos or manuals, the internet, or handyman books. However, these resources are often written or presented by experienced installers working in no-penalty environments, and they make any project, including garage door opener installation, look so very simple and straightforward. It seldom, if ever, seems to be quite so easy whenever the homeowner attempts such an installation in a real-life situation.
Several factors must be considered with respect to garage door opener installation, all of which will require some time on the part of the homeowner to research, prepare, and implement. The key considerations which, for all intents and purposes, are second-nature to professional garage door installation companies such as Markham Garage Doors, would include:
- Choosing the correct opener for the size and weight of the garage door
- Ensuring that the weight of the door is properly balanced
- Being mindful not to alter any existing springs, cables, pulleys, or drums
- Having all of the appropriate and required tools readily available for use
- Using heavy-duty angle irons to adequately secure/anchor the door opener
- Working on a ladder should include a partner or ‘spotter’ for safety reasons
- Working with electrical power always requires extra caution/safety measures
- Installation of a suitably grounded power outlet in the garage may be needed
- Wiring from the opener to the photo eye to the wall button must be done correctly
- Testing door opener resistance post-install – will door stop moving if obstructed?
- Caring for the safety of children by installing all moving parts out of their reach
There are valid reasons why professionals are available for home improvement projects such as the installation of garage door openers. The job entails a number of precise and intricate steps to ensure that the garage door opener is installed properly the first time – and these professionals, like the installation experts from Markham Garage Doors, can accomplish the task in significantly less time, and with much less frustration or outright worry, than the do-it-yourself homeowner.
Determine Which Garage Door Opener Best Fits Your Needs And Available Space
In addition to the decision to hire a professional service for your garage door opener installation, it will be important to determine which type or style of the opener to actually have installed. Once again, you can rely on the insight and experience of a company such as Markham Garage Doors to select the garage door opener that fits both your needs and the physical space available within your garage.
There are largely three types of garage door openers, each with specific applications:
- Perhaps the most reliable of the three types
- Recognized for its smooth and quiet operation
- A preferred choice for homes with living space over/adjacent to the garage
- Rugged, durable, and reliable performance
- Designed to lift the heaviest wood garage doors
- Some newer models offer expanded radio frequency range as well as battery backup systems
- A space saver
- Side-wall mounted in the garage when ceiling clearance is limited or space is needed/used for storage
- Has a battery backup system for uninterrupted service during power outages
Regardless of the size, shape, or composition of your garage door, our technicians can recommend and install the type of opener that is right for you – quickly and worry-free, without the hassle and frustration of trying to do the installation yourself.
To save the time and frustration associated with a do-it-yourself garage door opener installation, have the work done faster and more efficiently by the professionals from Markham Garage Doors. Call the experts today at either (905) 472-9178 or (416) 570-3667 to determine which type of garage door opener should be installed to meet your specific needs.