Common Garage Door Problems And How To Fix Them
Determining When Required Garage Door Repair Can Be A Do-it-Yourself Task
Whether a garage is used for vehicle parking, storage purposes, a workshop, or private access to the home, the garage door will probably be opened and closed a considerable number of times on a daily or weekly basis. And undoubtedly, irrespective of manual or automatic operation, the repetitiveness of these opening-and-closing cycles will take its toll on the door and its hardware, eventually necessitating some degree of repair.
When a garage door malfunctions, it can be particularly inconvenient for the homeowner and their family, because the breakdown is usually an unexpected event that also typically occurs at the most inopportune time. Such personal inconvenience or aggravation is further magnified by speculation about the amount of the pending repair bill.
However, many commonly-encountered garage door issues could be relatively minor in nature. In these instances, repair work can be performed by the homeowner, thereby saving the time, inconvenience, and costs linked to calling a professional garage door repair service. Some of the more frequently-seen garage door problems can include:
- The door does not open and closes smoothly and easily
- Door jams/remains stuck in one position (open, closed, part-way)
- The door will not hold when in a fully-open or partially-open position
- The door closes too rapidly/falls or slams heavily to the ground
- Squealing, banging, and/or grinding sounds heard when in operation
- Automatic garage door opener fails to respond
When there is a rather obvious issue with the proper operation of a residential garage door, property owners can conduct a self-inspection in an effort to diagnose/pinpoint the cause. Common investigative steps would include:
- Checking the tracks for dirt/debris, dents, or obstruction
- Examining the cables for fraying or the loss/lack of tension
- A visual inspection of the door to ensure it is hanging evenly
- Assessing the state of all hardware (hinges, brackets, rollers, etc.)
- Evaluating the operation of the door opener and all remotes
- Ensuring that the torsion spring or extension springs are intact
Subsequently, the type, extent, or complexity of the issue should determine whether any repair work can be done by the homeowner or should be left to a qualified garage door repair provider such as Markham Garage Doors.
The following may serve as a general guide for homeowner self-repair steps/actions:
- Track-related problems
- Clear obvious obstructions (leaves, twigs, etc.)
- Wipe all tracking with a non-abrasive cleanser
- Tap out dents using a hammer and a piece of wood
- Hardware-related problems
- Tighten any and all loose screws
- Clean any dirt or rust from hinges, brackets, etc.
- Lubricate moving parts with garage door oil or WD-40
- Issues with an automatic door opener
- Test batteries in all remotes
- Ensure that power source is properly connected
- Clean dirt/grime from infrared eyes/safety sensors
Conversely, other types of identified garage door issues should likely be addressed by our professional technicians. Such problems will include:
- Broken or stretched springs
- Loose, frayed, or broken cables
- Cracked, bent, or broken rollers
- Issues with door weight balance
- Unresolved door opener problems
Dealing with high-tension springs or cables, the heavyweight of a door or an electrical issue can present a personal safety risk to those who are inexperienced or not suitably trained to perform such repair work. For this reason alone, our technicians may be best suited to address the more extensive and complex issues that can arise with a residential garage door.
A Garage Door Repair Service You Can Trust
We have been deemed the leading garage door repair service in the Markham area. For more than 10 years, our team has created a business that respects the needs of its clients and offers exceptional customer service.
Just a phone call away, we are available to help property owners with garage door repair issues related to:
- Door panels
- Automatic Openers
- And more
If you are experiencing an issue with your garage door that should likely be entrusted to a professional repair provider, call the specialists at Markham Garage Doors today at (905) 472-9178 or (416) 570-3667 to schedule a service call as soon as possible.